Shadows and Patches

Some people don’t need glasses, others see quite well with them and then there are those unfortunates who can see light, shadows and perhaps a patch of color if everything is just right.

My psychic ability falls into the “shadows and a patch” category. It’s not enough to point to someone and tell them that they cheated on their wife, but it is enough to sometimes get out of the way when something truly ugly is coming down the road. I had one such lucky experience and many simple feelings that I know I should have paid more attention to. It's amazing how useful this kind of talent can be.

Occasionally psychic stuff is simple nonsense: I remember once I knew that if I entered the office check number pool I would win. I agonized over whether it was fair for me to take other peoples money if I had an unfair advantage. I gave in to greed the second time I had that insight and then proceeded to play when I knew I would lose out of a sense of fairness. I also had a run of football pool winnings for a couple of years when almost every team I "liked" won. Other kinds of contests don't work out nearly as well and I lose consistently.

This is not enough psychic ability to start a conversation about the existence of psychic stuff, but it is enough to get me into trouble if I talk loosely about it to people with rigid ideas about what is real. I don't mention finding system problems by intuition, and when I know things I shouldn't I invent rational reasons to explain my views.

I appear very rational and predictably right. I lie with a straight face which is odd because normally I have a built in resistance to lying.

The insanity and disingenuousness of this is not lost on me, and the list of things that convince me that my talent although imperfect is real is quite long. So sometimes I know things; and it makes no sense to anger people by talking about it so I simply either hold my tongue or create a reasonable lie that sounds good if I have to. I bow to the gods of rationality because some people worship at their temples.

So many of my relatives, coworkers and friends are either scientists or have a scientific bent and I don’t believe in some ideas dear to their hearts for the simple reason that something important in life is clearly not talked about in scientific writing.

In fact my view of things would be considered patent falsehood. Instead of observing phenomena, people predict from some theory that this can't happen and that seems terribly unscientific to me.

I can't be psychic because there is no scientific framework to hang it on. Rather like dawn on a world on which Heliocentric theories have not yet risen.

I don't think the world is ultimately material either, but that's just me.

Crazy, right?

The scientific and traditionally Aristotelian viewpoint is that the world is material. Which by the way is all we need to know or discuss since nothing else matters, and life, thought and so forth is a side effect of that.

Well this is so self evident it is assumed to be fact. But we really don't scientifically know what materiality is. We just play along with what seems to be there.

Everybody believes what everybody sees. Fish do not believe in air.

Well, you can say that there is the hypothesis is that this world is real but what if you saw something every now and then that contradicted that, and indicated that the world wasn't real in quite the way we think?

One fact breaks the hypothesis. My problem is that it's hard to share the facts.

Sometimes I look at a person and glimpse the the halo surrounding them; and I see it move and change; and the egg like shape of someone’s enclosing light; and lightning like flashes in it when I angered them; the ripples and explosions that surround a person when they are upset.

All these could be blithely chalked up to hallucination although they do get reported by psychics but what about the dreams that I have when someone I know dies and I seem to be going through it with them?

And then they are actually dead.

When I seem to be experiencing someone's death, I find the ideas they have of death strange; I had a different experience when it was me, although in my case I didn't die (which I cannot prove).

So I don’t talk about what I see in polite company and especially around those people I care most about. Well maybe my blog is my way of doing that.