very cold streets at night

I like to think that we dwell in a vast imaginary world. And there are points where it touches down and we feel the earth beneath our feet and in some sense our interaction is both imaginary and real.

I get that idea from the fact that everything I work on is the result of somebody's grandiose imaginative scheme that must be designed by me and implemented. So I have spent much time lifting what will become complicated software up into the air and and letting it coalesce into some workable permutation that I then code.

At some point I became convinced that since this worked so well in some areas of my life, I should apply the same dreamy sort of approach to the direction and focus of my life as a whole and pursued my dreams.

San Francisco is cold, even in July in a three piece wool suit; It is also bustling, crowded and Asian; with trolley buses that feel a little like a roller coaster ride for the uninitiated.

If you watch the local news you can see that the Bay Area is violent with an immense freeway system which is complicated to navigate; some of the neighborhoods can be described as depressing.

The streets of downtown San Francisco intimidated me as I walked from interview to interview on my first day.

I'm afraid that I don't interview very well either.

A bit of "What on Earth am I doing here?" came into my mind.

Before dawn on the day before we would leave I had a dream: I saw the hills of the City from the air without buildings, just bare sand colored rock without earth or covering of any kind. One hill in particular attracted me and I melted into it; it was conscious and feminine and a feeling of warmth and substance went up my spine and dripped out between my vertebra.

I awoke feeling confident and utterly at home in San Francisco with a new attitude towards the City. I was hired. But that morning I was certain I would be.


u3C